Research Support Center
Gvantsa Jichoshvili – Head of the Research Support Center
- email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 000 171 (125)
Among the important functions of the Research Support Center are:
- Promoting and encouraging scientific research activities of the university staff and students;
- Ensuring the involvement of university students and academic staff in scientific research processes, support for their scientific-research-creative and consulting activities; promoting the involvement of students and staff in local and international scientific conferences and research activities;
- Identifying grant projects and promoting the involvement of staff and students in research grant projects; advising staff and students on individual and institutional research grant projects;
- Organizing and conducting meetings and thematic training in order to promote scientific-research activities;
- Developing and implementing a system for evaluating the productivity/effectiveness of academic staff research activities with the Quality Assurance Service, identify areas for improvement, and submit reports and proposals to relevant structural units, faculties, and research institutes.
On November 28, 2020, an online workshop on "Writing Research Grant Projects" was held for academic and visiting staff and researchers of the European University. The workshop was led by Ilia State University Professor Ketevan Gurchiani. At the workshop, the academic and invited staff were introduced to the specifics of filling out research grant applications and key issues related to the preparation of a research grant project, such as research topic selection, research objective, general research project application structure, academic ethics, and international collaboration.
On December 2-12, 2020, a series of online workshops on "Research at the University" was held for academic and visiting staff and researchers. The training was led by Vladimer Luarsabishvili, Professor of New Vision University. The workshop aimed to develop research skills for academic staff in various fields and to strengthen existing ones. The workshop participants were introduced to the basic methods of modern academic research.
At the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, the Research Support Center conducted an assessment of the scientific-research potential of the members of academic staff and guest lecturers, based on the results of which their research interests were revealed. Based on the stated interests and disciplines, a database of research grant programs and individual research grants has been created; information about the grant programs is systematically provided to the academic staff and guest lecturers.
In the 2019-2020 academic year, the following projects on behalf of the European University were submitted to the Fundamental Research program funded by the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation:
- Gin and Tail indices and modeling of the economic structure of the Georgian population through Pareto and lognormal distributions (registration code: FR-19-16766)
- Decriminalization of drug crime in Georgia, comparative analysis and case law (registration code FR-19-029).
In the 2019-2020 academic year, the following project was submitted to the Grant Program for Young Scientists:
- International Law on the Principle of Prohibition of the Use or Use of Threats: Theory and Practice on the Example of Georgia” (Registration Code YS-19-502)
On April 19, 2019, the Research Support Center was opened at the European University.
On April 19, 2019, a memorandum was signed between the European University and Ivane Beritashvili Experimental Biomedicine Center. The parties agreed to cooperate in the field of biomedicine and conduct joint research in these areas.
The European University has introduced a document entitled “Procedures and Mechanisms for Detecting, Preventing, and Responding to Plagiarism” aimed at promoting internal responsibility for the effective conduct of scientific and academic activities at the University, establishing high academic standards and establishing standards of conduct. The Research Support Center organized a Plagiarism Week and student competition.
On May 3, 2019,Zviad Gabisonia, Director General of the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation, visited the European University. The purpose of the visit was to get acquainted with the current situation, challenges and future prospects in the field of science as part of the education and science reform.
The Director General presented the planned changes in the field of science to the audience, talked about the new important international projects, initiatives and plans to be implemented this year by the Rustaveli Foundation. The audience was informed about the 2019 competition for state science grants for applied research.
As a result of cooperation with the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation, the European University was given the opportunity to gain access to following Elsevier databases:
- Science Direct
- Scival Funding (Institutional Funding)
On May 23, 2019, Professor Tsisana Giorgadze and Lolita Shengelia, Head of the Research Support Center, held a master class in English for students participating in the conference of the Faculty of Medicine on “How to prepare a scientific paper.” https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1100-evropis-universitetis-samartlis-humanitarul-da-sotsialuri-metsnierebebis-pakultetis
On May 28, 2019, Professor Tatuli Dilidze conducted a master class on the same topic for students of the Faculty of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences of the European University in Georgian. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1095-master-class-registered-students-how-prepare-research-paper-was-conducted-may-23-it-was
On June 1, 2019, Faculty of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences at the European University https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1113-samartlis-humanitarul-da-sotsialur-metsnierebata-pakultetis-qovelcliuri-studenturi's and the Faculty of Business and Technology held the 5th Annual Student Scientific Conference. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1116-evropis-universitetshi-biznesisa-da-teknolog
On June 3, 2019, the 6th Annual Student Scientific Conference of the Faculty of Medicine was held at the European University: https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1117-evropis-universitetshi-meditsinis-pakultetis-qovelcliuri-me-6-studenturi-sametsniero
On June 15, 2019, the European University held its 5th International Student Scientific Conference at the Bazaleti Hotel Complex. Undergraduate and graduate students from local and international universities could participate in the conference.
On June 21, 2019, the Faculty of Medicine announced a competition for one-year research grant projects for the affiliate academic staff of the Faculty of Medicine.
On June 28, 2019, a call for a position of an Editor-in-Chief and three Editors for the scholarly journal “Medical Student” was announced and a commission was established by the order of the Rector. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1164-contest-positions-editors-journal-medical-student
The results of the first qualifying stage were announced. The following students passed to the second qualifying stage:
- Sarabu Venkata Naga Meghana
- Nikhil Kumar
- Syed Yaseen Ahmed
- Sanjay Kumar Pandey